This rhubarb bread is an excellent way to enjoy spring rhubarb. The rhubarb nut bread is topped with a nutty butter and brown sugar topping with a hint of cinnamon.
Sour cream gives this rhubarb bread wonderful texture and moistness. This is a great quick bread for spring get-togethers.
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar (light, packed)
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour (11 1/4 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups rhubarb (fresh, diced)
- 1/2 cup pecans (or walnuts, chopped)
- For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1/4 cup pecans (or walnuts, chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour two 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pans.
- Beat together the 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar, vegetable oil, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Combine flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder; stir to blend thoroughly.
- Add the flour mixture to the first mixture along with the sour cream. Stir just until all ingredients are moistened.
- Fold the rhubarb and 1/2 cup of chopped nuts into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pans.
- Combine topping ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle evenly over the loaves.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 55 to 65 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
Baking soda and baking powder in quick breads begin to react and produce gas as soon as they are mixed with the wet ingredients. Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and have the oven and pans ready. Mix the wet and dry mixtures together just until well moistened and bake immediately.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|