We are big fans of hot breakfasts, especially in winter when we crave something hot and hearty to kick off the day. One of our favorite hot breakfasts is a bowl of brown rice and kidney beans topped with a fried egg.
Gather the ingredients.
Cook brown rice according to package directions. Set aside and keep warm. (As a short cut, you can use a freezer bag of brown rice and steam cook in the microwave).
In a medium-sized skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add minced shallot and cook until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the kidney beans, season with salt and pepper, crushed garlic, and cook for 5 minutes until heated through.
As beans are cooking, fry to eggs in a separate skillet.
Divide rice and beans between two bowls. Top the beans and rice with cheese, salsa verde, and fried egg.
Serve and enjoy!
Raw Egg Warning
Consuming raw and lightly-cooked eggs poses a risk of food-borne illness.
- For a quick breakfast, use a bag of microwavable brown rice to cut down on prep time. Kidney beans are cooked in a skillet just until heated through along with minced shallot, crushed garlic, salt, and pepper. So simple, but a delicious and flavorful breakfast bowl base.
- Add the brown rice to the bottom of a bowl, then top with the cooked kidney beans. Sprinkle shredded cheddar immediately over top so the heat of the rice and beans melts the cheese. Drizzle salsa verde over the melted cheese, then add a fried egg over top to finish off the breakfast bowl.
- If you prefer, cook an over easy egg for your breakfast bowl. One slice of the egg with a fork breaks the yolk, and a good stir combines all the ingredients together into a savory breakfast with a kick.
- For the suggested salsa, we really enjoy Trader Joe's Salsa Verde. But if you have time, you can make your own and enjoy it the rest of the week as a snack with some tortilla chips.
- For more protein boost, you can use quinoa instead of brown rice. You could also add sausage, ham, crumbled bacon, or another meaty protein of choice. Instead of a fried egg, you could top the bowl with a poached egg.
- Egg-free? Top with scrambled tofu or crispy tofu. Make the bowl your own!
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels - not all brands are created equal. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.