|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This skillet recipe makes use of any leftover ham. Combine it with frozen peas and rice to make an easy hearty dish. Top it with Parmesan cheese for a little tart kick.
1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas (green, or English peas), about 10 ounces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped cooked ham
- 1 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- 3 to 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
In a heavy skillet, saute the chopped onion in 2 tablespoons of butter until onion is tender.
Add ham and rice; cook over low heat until rice just begins to turn golden brown; add 3 cups chicken broth. Cover and cook, stirring frequently, over low heat for 20 minutes.
Add frozen peas and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until rice is tender, adding more chicken broth if necessary.
Stir in 1 tablespoon butter and the Parmesan cheese.