This skillet recipe makes use of any leftover ham. Combine it with frozen peas and rice to make an easy hearty dish. Top it with Parmesan cheese for a little tart kick.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas (green, or English peas), about 10 ounces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped cooked ham
- 1 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- 3 to 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- In a heavy skillet, saute the chopped onion in 2 tablespoons of butter until onion is tender.
- Add ham and rice; cook over low heat until rice just begins to turn golden brown; add 3 cups chicken broth. Cover and cook, stirring frequently, over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add frozen peas and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until rice is tender, adding more chicken broth if necessary.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon butter and the Parmesan cheese.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|