If you're tired of plain rice, Giora Shimoni's easy recipe for rice with carrots makes for a nice change of pace. Shimoni like to serve it as a Shabbat side dish and says his kids love the sweetness the carrots and sauteed onions impart to the rice.
Make It a Meal
Because rice, carrots, and onions are such common culinary elements, this dish works well with all sorts of cuisines. Try it with roasted chicken with baharat, garlic, and mint, an avocado, hearts of palm, edamame & za’atar salad and a cool, crunchy rainbow slaw. For dessert, offer these delicious dairy-free sugar cookies.
Miri's Recipe Testing Notes and Tips
Be sure to choose a pot large enough to hold the rice and vegetables; a Dutch oven or medium stockpot is a good choice.
We tested this recipe using the full teaspoon of salt and found it a little salty for my taste. If you're trying to reduce your sodium intake, use between 1/4 and 1/2 teaspoon, or omit the salt altogether. Stick to kosher or sea salt, which has a little less sodium than table salt; if you use the latter, you'll definitely want to reduce the amount you use in this recipe.
Edited and Updated by Miri Rotkovitz
- 4 cups water
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled, trimmed, and chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled, trimmed, and coarsely grated
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups basmati or other long grain rice, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- Place the water in a saucepan or kettle and bring to a boil.
- In a dutch oven or large pot set over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring occasionally for 3 to 4 minutes, or until they begin to soften. Add the grated carrots. Cook, sauteeing frequently, Saute until both the onion and carrot are soft, about 5 minutes more. Stir in the sugar.
- Add the rice, salt, and boiling water. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until all of the water is absorbed. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Stir the rice, then cover and allow to steam for about 5 minutes more, or until the rice is tender. Stir again, and remove the lid so that the rice will not be sticky.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|