Watermelon smoothies are a bit different from other fruit smoothies since watermelon has extremely high water content. If you don't know how to make a watermelon smoothie correctly, it can result in a watery smoothie with little flavor. The solution is to freeze the watermelon beforehand, which helps create a thick drink. You could make this smoothie with fresh watermelon and crushed ice instead, but it will have a juice-like consistency, not a creamy milkshake-like texture.
Gather the ingredients.
Cut the watermelon into small chunks. Make sure the chunks are fairly small―about 1/2 inch—to make it easier to blend into the smoothie.
Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper. Place fresh-cut watermelon on the cookie sheet, leaving space between the pieces. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 1 hour. If preparing the watermelon in advance for smoothies later in the week, once frozen, transfer to a plastic storage bag and freeze until ready to use.
Place frozen watermelon chunks in a Vitamix blender or a regular blender. Top with milk, yogurt, and maple syrup. Blend until smooth.
Serve watermelon smoothies immediately in chilled glasses. Garnish with a wedge of watermelon and fresh mint, if desired.
Which Is Sweeter, Seedless or Seeded Watermelon?
Seedless watermelons are easier to eat and may have a sweeter taste. Scientifically speaking, seedless watermelons have an extra set of genes, so the sweet flavor is more prominent. But there are other factors that can influence watermelon flavor, including when and where it was harvested, the amount of irrigation, and the type of soil.
- Look for a seedless variety to make your life easier. If you can't find seedless watermelon, take the time to pick out the seeds before you freeze the fruit. As you are cutting the watermelon, remove the seeds.
- When cutting your watermelon, place a few wedges of watermelon aside for garnish.
- Replace the maple syrup with golden cane syrup, honey, or an equivalent amount of sugar substitute.
- Strawberry-Watermelon Smoothie: Replace 1 cup of the watermelon with 1 cup of frozen strawberries.
- Use almond milk or an almond milk and coconut milk blend and increase the yogurt to 1 cup.
Quick Cleanup Tip
Quickly flush out your dirty blender the best you can using running water. Then fill the blender halfway with hot water and some dish soap. Return blender to its base and turn it on high for 20 seconds. Rinse thoroughly with water and let dry.