|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 2g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||4%|
|Total Carbohydrate 1g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Ravioli and tortellini hold a special place in our hearts. Being one of the ultimate comfort foods, pasta, in its many forms, is a go-to for many households. Topped or filled, it can be served so many ways for lunch or dinner that you never have to get bored with it. Yet few flavor combinations for pasta are as delightful as spinach and ricotta. Use this ricotta cheese and spinach filling for fresh ravioli, tortellini, and other filled types of fresh pasta for a delicious meal that's both simple and sensational.
Gather the ingredients.
Set ricotta cheese in a fine mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth or paper towel, set over a bowl. Allow ricotta to strain out excess liquid for 5 to 10 minutes as you continue with the prep.
Plunge the spinach into a large saucepan of boiling salted water to blanch it. Remove it 30 seconds later.
Remove spinach from boiling water after 30 seconds. Drain and cool under cold running water to stop the cooking.
Chop spinach finely.
In a medium bowl, combine the spinach with the egg, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, pepper, and nutmeg. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Use to fill the pasta immediately, or refrigerate for up to one day before using.
- Use well-made with Swiss chard or kale in place of spinach. Omit the ricotta cheese.
- After blanching and chopping the spinach, heat 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil in a large skillet with 1 teaspoon minced garlic.
- When the garlic softens, stir in the spinach. Season with salt and pepper, then cool and stir in 1 large egg, 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan, and 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons minced prosciutto or pancetta that has been cooked along with the garlic. Adjust the seasonings if necessary. Let cool and use to fill pasta or refrigerate for up to one day.