You may not think that you can make ricotta cake with cake mix, but you can use a standard cake mix and make a traditional ricotta cake. This recipe starts with yellow cake mix that you can find at the grocery store and combines ricotta cheese.
There are plenty of recipes out there for ricotta cake. Some feature other flavors such as raspberry or lemon.
More on Ricotta Cheese
A ricotta cake includes ricotta cheese, which is a whey cheese that is made from whey that is left over from cheese production. It is made by coagulating proteins, albumin, and globulin, that are left over after the casein is used to make cheese. Ricotta means "recooked," and the cheese is produced by passing the liquid through a fine cloth so the curd is left behind. It is similar to cottage cheese in liquid through a fine cloth so the curd is left behind. It is similar to cottage cheese in texture and can have varying fat content. It has a slightly sweet taste.
Production of it dates back to the Bronze Age in Italy. Traditionally, it was made with whey and a small amount of milk. In the United States, whole-milk ricotta is popular and known as "ricottone." In cooking, it is often used as a part of Italian meals, or in cheesecake and cannolis. When it is mixed with eggs and cooked grains, it is the centerpiece of Neapolitan pastiera, a popular Italian Easter pie.
More Types of Ricotta Cheese
There are different types of ricotta cheese available, and they are made through different methods such as baking, salting, smoking, and additional fermentation. They include the following:
- Ricotta salata is a firm, pressed variety of ricotta that is salted and dried, often grated or shaved on top of food. It is sold in cheese wheel form.
- Ricotta infornata, also known as ricotta al forno, is made by baking ricotta until the crust is charred or becomes brown throughout. This type of ricotta is popular mostly in Sicily and Sardinia.
- Ricotta affumicata, which is similar to ricotta infornata, is smoked ricotta.
- Ricotta forte, which is also called ricotta scanta, is a salted, creamy brown paste that can be smeared on bread.
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 2 pounds ricotta
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease an oblong 13- by 9-inch pan.
- In a bowl, mix ricotta, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Then add the yellow cake mix.
- Mix ingredients thoroughly.
- Transfer the mixture to the pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes to one hour.
- Cool the cake.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|