- 8 ounces rigatoni (cooked, drained, and rinsed following package directions)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef (extra-lean)
- 1 large carrot (finely chopped or grated)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper (or green bell pepper, diced)
- 1 small zucchini (quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced, about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic (mashed and finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Creole or Cajun seasoning (such as Emeril's, Tony Chachere, or Zatarain)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano or Italian seasoning herb blend
- 1 (14.5 oz) can tomatoes with juice (diced)
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine (or more water)
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese (about 2 cups, divided)
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Lightly grease a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add ground beef, carrot, onion, and celery. Cook, breaking the ground beef up and stirring until ground beef is browned and onion is tender.
- Add the bell pepper, zucchini, garlic, Creole seasoning, and oregano or Italian seasoning. Continue cooking, stirring, for about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, water, and wine or more water; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Combine the sauce mixture with the cooked, drained rigatoni.
- Spoon half of the pasta mixture into the baking dish; sprinkle evenly with half of the cheese. Top with remaining pasta mixture and remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
(The nutrition information on our recipes is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. Individual results may vary.)