|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Serves 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 17g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||37%|
|Total Carbohydrate 32g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||15%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This rigatoni bake makes an excellent everyday meal for the family. Serve this pasta casserole with fresh baked cornbread and a tossed salad.
- 8 ounces rigatoni (cooked, drained, and rinsed following package directions)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef (extra-lean)
- 1 large carrot (finely chopped or grated)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper (or green bell pepper, diced)
- 1 small zucchini (quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced, about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic (mashed and finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Creole or Cajun seasoning (such as Emeril's, Tony Chachere, or Zatarain)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano or Italian seasoning herb blend
- 1 (14.5 oz) can tomatoes with juice (diced)
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine (or more water)
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese (about 2 cups, divided)
Heat oven to 350 F.
Lightly grease a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add ground beef, carrot, onion, and celery. Cook, breaking the ground beef up and stirring until ground beef is browned and onion is tender.
Add the bell pepper, zucchini, garlic, Creole seasoning, and oregano or Italian seasoning. Continue cooking, stirring, for about 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes, tomato paste, water, and wine or more water; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Combine the sauce mixture with the cooked, drained rigatoni.
Spoon half of the pasta mixture into the baking dish; sprinkle evenly with half of the cheese. Top with remaining pasta mixture and remaining cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.