|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 19g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||39%|
|Total Carbohydrate 6g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||2%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This lean roast beef is rubbed with a savory mixture of garlic, lemon zest, and herbs. The roast is cooked at a higher temperature for the first 10 minutes, and then it's slow-roasted to perfection.
See the tips and variations below the recipe for a basic pan gravy.
- 1 tablespoon butter (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel (finely grated)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 clove garlic (cut in half)
- 3 pounds beef roast (eye of round, top round, sirloin roast, etc.)
- Garnish: thinly sliced red onion
- Garnish: tomato slices
- Gather the ingredients.
- Heat the oven to 450 F.
- In a small bowl combine butter, lemon peel, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Rub garlic halves over the surface of beef roast.
- Spread butter and herb mixture over roast, coating the beef thoroughly on all sides.
- Place the meat on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast uncovered in the preheated 450 F oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 325 F; roast the beef about 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes longer. A meat thermometer should register about 145 F for medium.*
- Remove roast from oven, cover loosely with foil, and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Place slices on a serving dish and place onion and tomato slices around the edge.
- Serve immediately.
- *According to the USDA, the minimum safe temperature for beef is 145 F. Here's a chart of doneness temperatures:
Steak/Beef Temperature Chart
Rare120 F - 125 F (48.9 C to 51.6 C)
Medium-rare130 F - 135 F (54.4 C to 57.2 C)
Medium140 F - 145 F (60 C to 62.8 C)
Medium-well150 F - 155 F (65.5 C to 68.3 C)
Well done160 F (71.1 C) and above
Tips and Variations
To make a pan gravy, pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings left in the pan. Place the pan over medium heat. Combine 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water and stir into the drippings. Add 2 cups of beef stock and cook, stirring, until thickened and bubbling.
You Might Also Like