A simple combination of garlic and basil flavors this delicious chicken. It's an easy, fuss-free roast chicken to prepare and roast in the oven. Put a few whole basil leaves under the skin for an impressive presentation. Serve this roast chicken with baked potatoes and your favorite vegetable side dish.
- 1 roasting chicken (about 4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (extra virgin)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed and finely minced)
- 1 heaping tablespoon fresh basil (chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash black pepper
- 1 lemon (cut up, for cavity)
- Optiona: 4 whole basil leaves
- Line a roasting pan with foil. Heat oven to 350 F.
- Set the chicken on a rack in the roasting pan or arrange a few celery ribs or carrot sticks under the chicken to keep it off of the bottom of the pan and out of the pan drippings. Put the lemon pieces in the cavity of the chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, garlic, chopped basil, salt, and pepper. Stir to make a paste and rub all over and under the skin of the chicken.
- Put a few basil leaves under the skin of the chicken, if desired.
- Roast for about 20 minutes per pound, or to at least 165 F on an oven probe or instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes to Try
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||52 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||21 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|