This veal roast makes a fabulous holiday meal or Sunday dinner, and this results will wow your friends and family.
Jazz it up with a mixture of mushrooms, e.g., crimini, shiitake, button, porcini, etc. The roast is an impressive entree to serve dinner party guests.
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Place a rack in a roasting pan or 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan.
- Rinse the veal roast with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Rub the roast all over with the cut slice of garlic; discard the garlic. Season the meat with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Sear the veal roast on all sides in the butter until it is lightly browned. Spoon the butter over the roast as it browns. Remove meat from skillet and lower the heat to medium.
- Add the chopped onion to the skillet and cook, stirring, until the onion is lightly browned. Add the flour to the skillet and stir until well blended. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine; blend well. Add the mushrooms and crumbled rosemary.
- Place the veal roast on the rack in the prepared pan.
- Pour the mushroom and onion mixture over roast.
- Roast the veal in the preheated oven for about 2 hours to 2 hours and 15 minutes, basting with the mushroom mixture and turning the veal roast every 20 to 30 minutes. Add more wine, water, or beef stock, as needed to keep the mushrooms and onion mixture moist. The internal temperature of the veal should be about 145 F for medium rare, 160 F for medium, or 170 F for well done.
*According to USDA guidelines, veal or beef should be cooked to the safe minimum temperature of 145 F.
Tips and Variations
- Replace the rosemary with 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme.
- Add 1 cup of beef stock to the mushroom mixture to make a rich and flavorful gravy (suggestion from a reader).
- Use mixed wild mushrooms instead of button mushrooms.
- Make a few slits in the veal and insert slivers of garlic cloves.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||25 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|