If you are looking for something spectacular for a special family dinner or holiday meal, this veal roast is an excellent option. The roast makes a fabulous holiday meal or Sunday dinner, and this results will wow your friends and family.
Jazz the veal roast up with a variety of mushrooms, such as crimini, shiitake, button, oyster, and porcini. The roast is an impressive entree to serve dinner party guests.
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Place a rack in a roasting pan or 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan.
- Rinse the veal roast with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Rub the roast all over with the cut slice of garlic; discard the garlic. Season the meat with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the veal roast until it is lightly browned, turning to sear all sides. Spoon the melted butter over the roast as it cooks. Remove the meat from skillet and reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the chopped onion to the skillet and cook, stirring, for about 6 to 8 minutes, or until the onion has browned lightly. Add the flour to the skillet and stir until well blended. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine; blend well. Add the mushrooms and crumbled rosemary.
- Place the veal roast on the rack in the prepared pan.
- Pour the mushroom and onion mixture over roast.
- Roast the veal in the preheated oven for about 2 hours to 2 hours and 15 minutes, basting with the mushroom mixture and turning the veal roast every 20 to 30 minutes. Add more wine, water, or beef stock, as needed to keep the mushrooms and onion mixture moist. The internal temperature of the veal should be about 145 F for medium rare, 160 F for medium, or 170 F for well done.
*According to USDA guidelines, veal or beef should be cooked to a minimum safe temperature of 145 F.
For more garlic flavor, rub the roast with the garlic and then cut it into slivers. Make a few small slits over the roast and insert the garlic slivers.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||25 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|