We always think about marinated artichoke hearts but have you ever tried your hand at roasting them? Not only does this bring out their natural sweetness, but when oven roasted, the artichoke's texture completely transforms into a more crunchy and caramelized version of its soggy self. In this sandwich, we combine the crispy and golden roasted artichoke hearts with creamy and rich Mecox Cheddar between two slices of sourdough and a hefty drizzle of hot pepper infused olive oil. This sandwich may sound simple but the flavors are totally complex and exciting.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (extra virgin hot pepper infused)
- 2 slices bread (sourdough)
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese (such as Sag Harbor’s finest Mecox cheddar)
- Begin by adding half of the Mecox cheddar onto one slice of sourdough bread. Top with the roasted artichoke hearts and the rest of the cheddar.
- Finish by adding the top slice of bread and sprinkling the entire sandwich with the hot pepper olive oil. Set aside.
- Heat a medium sized cast iron skillet or panini press over medium heat and add in the buttered sandwich.
- Let the sandwich cook for a few minutes on one side until the crust has become a golden brown color and the cheese has begun to melt.
- Once one side is ready, gently flip the sandwich and repeat until all the cheese has melted and the other side is as toasted and crisped up as side 1.
- When the sandwich is ready, remove it from the heat and let it sit for a few minutes before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||89 g|
|Saturated Fat||39 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||37 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|