|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Serves 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 7g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Total Carbohydrate 24g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||15%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Roasting intensifies the flavors and smooths the texture of the produce in this vibrant Carrot, Apple, and Celery Soup. It's truly more than the sum of its parts -- you probably won't be able to pick out the individual flavors of apple or celery, but both add nuance and depth to the recipe.
Tip: While the butter is optional, it pulls the flavors together and adds a touch of richness. If you're serving a dairy meal, it makes a wonderful addition. You don't need much, so choose a high quality, preferably organic, unsalted butter.
Make It A Meal: Brown bag your lunch? Tote along a thermos of this soup to go with your favorite sandwich, or a hearty grain salad, like this Farro Salad with Spice Roasted Chickpeas and Cauliflower.
- 1 pound carrots (450 gm), peeled, trimmed, halved lengthwise if large, and cut crosswise into 3" (7.5 cm) pieces
- 1 large apple (about 8 ounces/230 gm), peeled, cored, and cut into wedges
- 3 celery stalks (about 6 ounces/170 gm), trimmed and cut into 3" (7.5 cm) pieces
- 2 tablespoons, plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion (about 3 ounces/90 gm), peeled, trimmed, and finely chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed, and finely chopped
- 1" piece ginger (0.5 ounce/15 gm), peeled and minced
- 4 cups (946 ml) vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 425° F (220 ° C). Place the carrots, apples, and celery in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and toss to coat.
Roast in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, turning once midway through cooking. (The vegetables should be fairly tender, and just starting to caramelize, when you remove them from the oven.)
In a stockpot or large Dutch oven, warm the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onion and saute over medium high heat until it begins to soften and turn translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add the roasted carrots, apple and celery, and stir to coat with the onions and spices.
Pour in the vegetable stock, raise the heat, and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
Using a regular or immersion blender, carefully puree the soup.
If desired, add the butter to the soup and stir until it is melted and evenly incorporated.
Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Enjoy!