Lemon and garlic add flavor to this roasted chicken dish, and it's easy to prepare. The addition of potatoes makes this a delicious all-in-one meal for a busy family.
We used a variety of chicken parts in the dish, but feel free to use all chicken legs or leg quarters, or use chicken thighs or split chicken breasts. If you use boneless chicken breasts, cut the potatoes smaller and reduce the cooking time.
- 1 chicken, about 3 1/2 to 3 pounds, quartered
- Juice of 2 lemons, or about 4 to 5 tablespoons
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- dash freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
- 2 pounds small red potatoes, cut into large chunks or quartered
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary or thyme or about 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary or thyme, divided
- 1-pint grape tomatoes, halved, optional
- Heat oven to 375 F (190 C/Gas 5).
- Quarter the chicken; place in a shallow dish or food storage bag. Combine lemon juice, garlic, a dash of pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt and wine; pour over the chicken and turn to coat. Cover or seal and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil; add mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms are golden brown.
- Meanwhile, prepare potatoes and onions; place in a bowl and toss with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, a dash of pepper, and half of the rosemary or thyme, and the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Set aside.
- Take the chicken out of the marinade and arrange in a roasting pan. Sprinkle with the remaining rosemary or thyme.
- Pour remaining marinade into the mushrooms and boil for 2 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Arrange the potatoes and onions around the chicken pieces in the roasting pan. Pour mushrooms and liquid over the chicken pieces. Roast for about 1 1/2 hours, turning chicken after 1 hour.
- If desired, sprinkle the tomatoes over the chicken and potatoes about 15 minutes before done.
- When chicken is thoroughly cooked, juices will run clear when pierced with a fork.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||59 g|
|Saturated Fat||17 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||25 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|