|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 53g||68%|
|Saturated Fat 14g||69%|
|Total Carbohydrate 36g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 8g||28%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This chicken dinner is a complete meal cooked in one pan. The chicken and vegetables bake to golden perfection with the addition of simple seasonings. Use a cut-up chicken or use your favorite bone-in chicken parts: it's especially good made with drumsticks, whole legs, or thighs.
If you have a busy day ahead, prepare the chicken and vegetables in the morning. Put everything in the baking dish. Cover the pan with foil and put it in the refrigerator; pop it into the preheated oven when you get home and plan to bake it an extra 10 to 15 minutes.
The dish is versatile as well. Feel free to add some cubed rutabaga or sliced parsnips in the dish or add a can of diced tomatoes. Sauteed sliced fresh mushrooms are another good option. If you aren't a fan of a particular vegetable, add extra potatoes or celery. The dish is very forgiving, so adapt it to suit your taste. For extra flavor, toss the chicken and vegetables with a few cloves of fresh minced garlic or sprinkle them with garlic powder or an herb seasoning blend along with the salt and pepper.
- 3 pounds chicken parts (e.g., a whole cut-up chicken, thighs, whole legs, etc.)
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 2 medium onions
- 4 medium potatoes
- 4 carrots
- 2 large celery ribs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch kosher salt
- Pinch pepper
- Pinch paprika
Heat the oven to 425 F. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan or shallow roasting pan with heavy-duty foil.
Slice the tops and bottoms off of the green and red bell peppers. Remove the seeds and white ribs and slice the peppers into rings.
Peel the onions and cut each one into four wedges.
Peel the potatoes and slice them into quarters.
Peel the carrots and cut them diagonally into 1-inch rounds.
Cut the celery ribs diagonally into 1-inch slices.
In a bowl, toss the cut-up vegetables with the olive oil.
Arrange chicken pieces and vegetables in the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with the kosher salt and pepper. Sprinkle lightly with paprika.
Bake for about 40 to 45 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned and the chicken is golden brown. Baste with the pan juices about halfway through cooking.
- Look for a temperature of at least 165 F on an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest pieces of chicken (not touching bone).
- Low starch red-skinned potatoes are perfect for this dish because they hold their shape better than high starch baking potatoes. Some other good options include fingerlings, new potatoes, or Yukon Gold. Feel free to scrub the potatoes and leave them unpeeled if you like.
- For crispy skin, sear the chicken in about 1 tablespoon of olive oil before placing it in the baking pan.