|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 40g||51%|
|Saturated Fat 11g||54%|
|Total Carbohydrate 4g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||5%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This roasted whole chicken is flavored with a curry-spiced rub and glazed with a simple blend of mustard and preserves.
The rub mixture of curry powder, lemon, ginger, and cumin gives the skin loads of flavor. The simple glaze is the perfect finishing touch.
- 1 roasting chicken, about 5 pounds
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- For The Glaze:
- 3 tablespoons peach jam, apricot preserves, or similar
- 3 tablespoons grainy mustard or brown mustard
Heat the oven to 350 F.
Line a roasting pan with foil and place a rack in the pan.
Pat the chicken with paper towels to dry thoroughly. Sprinkle inside and out with salt and pepper. Place the chicken on the rack in the prepared roasting pan.
In a small bowl, combine the curry powder, lemon juice, ginger, cumin, and vegetable oil. Rub the mixture all over the chicken and under the skin.
Roast the chicken in the preheated 350 F oven for about 20 minutes per pound, or to at least 165 F on a meat thermometer inserted into the thigh but not touching bone.
About 10 to 15 minutes before the chicken is done, combine the preserves and mustard and brush generously over the chicken. Continue roasting until the chicken is done.
- According to the USDA, the minimum safe temperature for chicken is 165 F. Test with a reliable instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh or breast, not touching bone.
- Serve the chicken with a rice dish, roasted potatoes, or mashed potatoes. For a side vegetable, choose broccoli, green beans, or serve the chicken with a basic tossed green salad.
- For a good wine pairing, serve with Riesling, Chenin Blanc, or a dry white wine.