Chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) make a tasty, snack-time treat when simply roasted with a few spices. Be sure to follow the instruction to pat them dry; the drier they are going into the oven, the sooner they will crisp up nicely.
- 2 cups fresh or 1 can chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- Optional: 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Optional: Dash of cayenne
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Rinse the chickpeas, drain them, and lay them in a single layer on a clean kitchen towel or layers of paper towels. Pat them as dry as possible — even let them sit out for a bit to air-dry, if you like.
- Transfer the chickpeas to a medium bowl. Drizzle with the oil and toss the chickpeas to coat them evenly with the oil. Sprinkle with the salt and any of the spices you choose to use and, again, toss the chickpeas to coat them evenly.
- Transfer the chickpeas to a baking sheet and spread in a single layer (you can line the baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper for easy cleanup, if you like). Bake until browned and sizzling or about 45 minutes. You want them to get a bit desiccated and dried-out so they have some crisp and crunch to them.
- Let the chickpeas cool slightly before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|