|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 3 to 6 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||6%|
|Total Carbohydrate 10g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||6%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Simple ingredients bring a gourmet touch to Cornish game hens. This chef's recipe is quite simple to make at home, yet impressive enough for the most esteemed guest. Herbs, spices, garlic, shallots, and mustard make these rock Cornish game hens special.
Chef John Ash, Fetzer Vineyards
- 3 Cornish game hens, livers and gizzards removed and rinsed
- 3 whole cloves
- Garlic, peeled
- 2 large
- Shallots, peeled and quartered
- 3 large sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon kosher
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons coarse-grained
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons
- Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons
- Fines herbes
- 1 teaspoon sweet
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Gather the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place rock Cornish game hens in a large ovenproof baking dish. Place 1 clove garlic, several pieces of shallots, and 1 rosemary sprig into the cavity of each game hen. Rub 1/2 teaspoon salt into the cavity of the hens.
- In a small bowl, combine mustards, fines herbes, paprika, fennel seed, pepper, red pepper flakes, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and whisk thoroughly. Coat game hens thoroughly with mixture.
- Place in oven and roast for 1-1/4 hours. Remove from oven and serve with buttered corn and braised Swiss chard.
Recipe Source: Chef John Ash, Fetzer Vineyards
Reprinted with permission.