This recipe for kotopoulo fournou (in Greek: κοτόπουλο φούρνου, pronounced koh-TOH-poo-loh FOOR-noo) is easy to make and delicious. The combination of oregano, garlic, and lemon juice marks this as a Greek classic, a perfect Greek roasted chicken and potatoes recipe.
- 1 chicken (approx. 3 1/2 pounds, cut in half)
- 3 1/4 pounds of potatoes (peeled, quartered)
- 2 medium lemons (juice of)
- Salt (to taste, sea)
- Pepper (freshly ground black, to taste)
- Garnish: Greek oregano (rigani)
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups of water
- Preheat oven to 355°F (180°C).
- Season the chicken halves and potatoes with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place potatoes around chicken in a roasting or baking dish.
- Pour the olive oil and lemon juice over the food to coat thoroughly, and sprinkle with oregano and garlic cloves.
- Pour water into one corner of the pan (not on top of food).
- Roast uncovered at 355°F (180°C) for 50 minutes, then turn the chicken and cook 50 minutes more.
Note: Check periodically during cooking to make sure there's a little water in the pan. If it cooks down completely, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup more.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||81 g|
|Saturated Fat||19 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||41 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|