Roast chicken with a Thai twist! Lemongrass chicken is a famous dish throughout much of Southeast-Asia, and my Thai roasted lemongrass chicken recipe is particularly fragrant and moist. Imbued with the flavors of both lemon and lime, you'll find this roasted chicken delicious as is, or serve it together with my sweet lime sauce for a delectable Thai treat your family and friends (including the kids!) will absolutely love!
- 4 quarter chicken pieces, or 1 small whole chicken
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumb-size piece galangal OR ginger, grated or thinly sliced
- 2 fresh red chilies, minced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 can thick coconut milk
- Lime wedges as garnish
- For The Sauce:
- 1 cup water
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 thumb-size piece galangal or ginger, minced or grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 heaping teaspoon cornstarch powder, dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
- Thinly slice the lemongrass and then chop it up as finely as you can (alternatively you can use a food processor or chopper for the mincing part). Do the same with the onion, garlic, galangal/ginger and chili.
- Set chicken pieces in roaster or flat baking pan, and rub these herbs all over the skin, all sides. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cover and leave in the refrigerator at least 1/2 hour or up to six hours to marinate.
- Preheat oven to 350. While oven is warming up, combine fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar and coconut milk. Stir together until sugar is dissolved.
- Drizzle this over chicken, turning to saturate. Try to get as many of the herbs on the skin of chicken as possible.
- Add 1/4 cup water to the roaster/pan in and around chicken.
- Cover and set in the middle of your oven to bake 45 minutes.
- Remove cover and continue roasting 20 minutes until chicken turns golden-brown (whole chicken will take longer).
- Top with slices of fresh lime and chili, if desired, or just serve as is.
- Accompany with plenty of Thai jasmine rice and the sweet Lime sauce (below) on the side.
- While chicken is roasting, make the side sauce. In a saucepan, add all sauce ingredients except cornstarch. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer.
- Taste test for sweetness and saltiness, adding more honey if not sweet enough, or more fish sauce (instead of salt) as desired. If you prefer a spicy sauce, add some fresh chili or chili sauce.
- Add cornstarch and water mixture. Stir until sauce thickens. Serve with the roasted chicken and enjoy!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||33 g|
|Saturated Fat||18 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|