Looking for the perfect oven-roasted mixed vegetables recipe for Thanksgiving, or just for a healthy family dinner side dish? Try this one. It's a quick and easy vegetarian vegetable side dish of oven-roasted mixed wintery vegetables in a lightly sweetened glaze made from maple syrup and butter or vegan margarine.
Heat up your oven and toss together a mix of sweet potatoes, cauliflowers and Brussels sprouts into a healthy and simple vegetable side dish to accompany any meal, and, of course, it's the perfect light side dish for your Thanksgiving or Christmas meal. Kids don't like Brussels sprouts? Swap them out for carrots, or just add more sweet potatoes and cauliflower. This is an extremely versatile dish that works well with just about any root vegetable: any kind of potato turnips would work well, and, you can even make this dish with daikon (Japanese radish).
This vegetable side dish is completely vegetarian, and, you can use vegan margarine instead of butter to make this oven-roasted vegetables vegan and a bit lighter, lower in fat and cholesterol-free. And with nothing more than vegetables, butter, maple syrup and a bit of salt and pepper, this side dish is suitable for those on a gluten-free diet.
Oven-roasted sweet potatoes with cauliflower and Brussels sprouts recipe courtesy of North Carolina Sweet Potatoes.
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 2 cups florets)
- 9 ounces Brussels sprouts, halved (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter or vegan margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- First, preheat your oven to 400 F. On a rimmed baking pan, evenly scatter the chopped sweet potatoes, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts in a single layer and set aside.
- In a small microwavable bowl, place the butter or vegan margarine, maple syrup, salt and pepper and microwave on low setting, just until the butter or vegan margarine is melted, then give it a quick stir to combine everything.
- Immediately (before it cools!) pour this maple glaze over vegetables and sweet potatoes and gently toss it all together, to coat the vegetables and sweet potatoes as evenly as possible.
- Place the baking pan in the oven and cook until tender, about 40 minutes, stirring halfway through.
This healthy oven-roasted vegetable dish is vegetarian, vegan (if you use vegan margarine instead of butter) and gluten-free.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|