Roasted green peas are a common snack food throughout most Southeast Asian countries, and they're surprisingly easy to make. They're also an excellent source of protein -- great for vegetarians, vegans and anyone who's on a gluten-free diet as well. They're so nutty tasting, you just might forget you're eating veggies! Spicy, crunchy, and fun to munch on, these peas are similar to wasabi roasted peas, but with Thai spices. As a bonus, they can be stored in a container for weeks without losing any of their flavor or crunchiness. And you don't even need to use fresh peas -- frozen will work just fine.
- 2 cups green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon
- white pepper (available in most spice aisles or at Asian food stores)
- Optional: dash chili flakes
- Preheat oven to 375°F and prepare a baking sheet with either parchment paper, foil or a cooking oil spray.
- Thaw the green peas and pour off any water. Use a paper towel to gently pat them, ensuring they're as dry as possible.
- Place peas in a mixing bowl. Add the oil and toss to coat.
- Now add all the other ingredients and toss again.
- Spread the peas out on your prepared sheet. Gently tamp them down with the back of a large spoon to ensure they're in a single layer. Place them on the center rack of your oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and test them. If you want them very crunchy, shift them around a bit, then return to the oven for another 20 to 30 minutes. They will reduce to half their size, and should be brownish in color.
- Allow to cool completely before covering or storing. These peas will keep for weeks in a jar or other covered container (no need to refrigerate them). Pair with a cold lager, a cocktail, or other drink of your choice.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|