Cooked crumbled bacon adds flavor to these fabulous roasted potatoes. The potatoes are roasted to perfection with bacon and onions, along with thyme and a small amount of olive oil.
These roasted potatoes are easy to prepare and cook, and they are an excellent side dish to serve with just about any meal.
- 6 strips bacon
- 2 1/2 pounds potatoes, red, gold, or round white
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- Put the bacon in a large skillet and place the pan over medium-low heat. When the bacon pieces begin to brown, loosen and turn them over. Turn several times, as needed, until the bacon is browned.
- Remove the bacon to paper towels to drain. Crumble or dice the cooked and drained bacon. Set aside.
- Line a large jelly roll pan or roasting pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray. Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Scrub the potatoes and peel if desired. Cut the potatoes into 1-inch pieces.
- Peel the onion, quarter, and slice thinly.
- In a large bowl combine the potatoes with the cooked crumbled bacon, sliced onion, vegetable oil or olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme. Toss to coat the potatoes
- Spread the potatoes in the prepared baking sheet and bake, turning occasionally, for 50 to 60 minutes, or until fork tender and browned.
Tips and Variations
- Add 1 clove of minced garlic to the potatoes along with the onion and oil.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings to the potatoes in addition to the vegetable oil.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|