|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 7g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 39g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||17%|
|Total Sugars 5g|
|Vitamin C 18mg||91%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Make a tasty and flavorful meal using your oven to roast these easy potatoes with garlic and onions. Seasoned with garlic and a variety of dried herbs, the potatoes crisp up in the oven to golden perfection and are a great side dish for meat eaters, or a wonderful and filling main for vegans and vegetarians when served with additional veggies. Get the best out of your oven by cooking some additional winter vegetables or sweet beets for a wonderful meal.
We use unpeeled red-skinned potatoes, but also use red bliss, new potatoes, round whites, or Yukon gold, which have a firmer texture than baking potatoes and will yield excellent results.
It's easy to prep: Simply toss the potatoes with the rest of the ingredients and roast in the oven. Check our recipe variations below to change up the flavors and try our potatoes in different ways.
Click Play to See This Recipe Come Together
2 pounds red-skinned potatoes
Nonstick cooking spray
1 large sweet onion, cut into large chunks
4 to 5 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried dill
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Dash dried marjoram (or basil)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 400 F.
Cut the potatoes in 1 1/2- to 2-inch chunks. Line a large shallow baking pan with foil; spray with cooking spray or lightly grease the foil.
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl or food storage bag. Toss to coat thoroughly.
Arrange the potatoes and onions in the foil-lined baking pan and bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, turning every 10 to 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and nicely browned.
Arrange the roasted potatoes in a serving bowl.
Serve as a side for your favorite meal and enjoy.
Do I Have to Soak the Potatoes Before Roasting?
It depends. Do you have time to soak the potatoes? Then yes. By submerging the potatoes completely in cold water for 30 minutes, some excess starch is removed. When you rinse, pat dry, and roast the potatoes, the potatoes will crisp up more because they lack some of the starch unsoaked potatoes have.
If you don't have additional time, then the answer is no. Don't soak them. The final product will be equally delicious, and if you want to crisp them up some more, use your oven broiler.
How to Store and Reheat Roasted Potatoes
- If you're making the potatoes ahead of time, cool completely and cover. Store in the fridge for up to a day and reheat at 400 F for 10 to 15 minutes. Give them a splash of olive oil before serving.
- If you have leftover roasted potatoes, keep in an airtight container in the fridge for a day or two and reheat at 400 F in the oven for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until hot. Give them a splash of olive oil before serving.
- If you are making bigger batches and want to freeze them, cool off completely, portion, and place in zip-top bags. Take as much air out of the bags as possible. The frozen potatoes can keep for up to a year.
Other Delicious Additions
Here are some suggestions to give your potatoes a different flavor profile.
- Butter: Use all or part melted butter or ghee.
- Unctuous and fatty: Use bacon drippings, lard, or duck fat.
- Color and flavor: Add strips of red and green bell pepper and 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika.
- Sweet and savory: Add peeled sweet potatoes or Japanese sweet potatoes.
- Allium: Add 1 teaspoon chopped chives and 4 tablespoons of onion soup mix.
- Mustard: Add 3 tablespoons of whole-grain mustard.
- Spices: Add 1 teaspoon each of cumin and curry powder and 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro.
- Cheesy: Follow the recipe as is and roast the potatoes for 35 minutes. Sprinkle 3/4 cup of Parmesan or pecorino cheese on top and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes. Serve with any cheese sauce of your liking.