|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Makes 4 to 6 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||8%|
|Total Carbohydrate 41g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||18%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These roasted potatoes are cooked with ham, onion, and seasonings, for a fabulous one-dish, everyday meal.
Browned sliced potatoes and cubes of ham are combined in this delicious dish. The ingredients are first browned, then they're combined in a baking dish and roasted to perfection. We like this dish with onions, as it provides more flavor, but you can certainly make it without the onions. This is a hearty, earthy dish, an excellent choice for breakfast, brunch, or supper, and it's a nice way to use leftover ham.
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil (canola oil, lard, or duck fat)
- 2 pounds potatoes (scrubbed and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds)
- 12 to 16 ounces ham (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 large onion (quartered and thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Gather the ingredients.
Melt or heat 3 tablespoons of fat in a large, heavy iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the potato slices and cook, stirring frequently, until they are lightly browned and are partially cooked. Remove them to a large bowl and set aside.
Add the ham and onion to the skillet and continue cooking, stirring, until the onions are translucent and lightly browned and the ham begins to develop a browned crust in places. If necessary, add another tablespoon of fat to the skillet.
Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer.
Heat the oven to 400 F. Lightly grease or oil a large baking dish or pan, about 2 1/2 to 3-quart capacity.
Transfer the ham and onion mixture to the bowl with the potatoes. Sprinkle with the fresh chopped parsley, Kosher salt, and pepper, and toss gently to blend the ingredients thoroughly.
Transfer the mixture to the lightly greased baking dish or pan.
Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and nicely browned.
Serve for supper and enjoy!
- Use red skinned potatoes, unpeeled. Russet potatoes or Yukon gold would work as well, peeled or unpeeled.
- Use leftover cubed ham or a cubed center-cut ham slice to make this dish.
- For extra color and flavor, add about 1/2 cup of red or green bell pepper to the skillet along with the garlic.
- Add one or two thinly sliced carrots to the skillet with the potatoes.
- Omit the ham and use 1 1/2 to 2 cups of leftover cubed roast pork or beef in the recipe. Add it to the skillet along with the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.