|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||8%|
|Total Carbohydrate 41g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||18%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Roasted potatoes with ham, onion, and seasonings make a fabulous one-dish, everyday meal. The recipe is simple, takes very little time to prepare and cook, and is an excellent way to use leftover ham.
This delicious dish features sliced potatoes with cubes of ham. The ingredients are browned first, then combined in a baking dish and roasted to perfection. While the onions provide more flavor, you can certainly skip that ingredient. Your family will enjoy this hearty, earthy dish, which works well for breakfast, brunch, or supper.
- 3–4 tablespoons olive oil (or canola oil, lard, or duck fat)
- 2 pounds potatoes (scrubbed; sliced into 1/4-inch rounds)
- 12–16 ounces ham (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 large onion (quartered, thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (fresh; chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt (kosher)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
Gather the ingredients. Heat the oven to 400 F.
In a large, heavy iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, melt or heat 3 tablespoons of fat. Add the potato slices and cook, stirring frequently, until they are lightly browned and partially cooked. Remove them to a large bowl and set aside.
Add the ham and onion to the skillet and continue cooking and stirring until the onions are translucent and lightly browned and the ham begins to develop a browned crust in places. If necessary, add another tablespoon of fat to the skillet.
Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer.
Lightly grease or oil a large 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish.
Transfer the ham and onion mixture to the bowl with the potatoes. Sprinkle with the fresh chopped parsley, kosher salt, and black pepper. Toss gently to blend the ingredients thoroughly.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and nicely browned.
Serve and enjoy!
- Red-skinned potatoes can be left unpeeled. Either peeled or unpeeled Russet potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes work as well.
- Use leftover cubed ham or a cubed center-cut ham slice to make this dish.
- If using olive oil, make sure it's light or pure olive oil. The virgin and extra-virgin varieties have a low smoke point that will not stand up to the high temperatures required during sautéing and roasting.
- For extra color and flavor, add about 1/2 cup of chopped red or green bell pepper to the skillet along with the garlic.
- Add one or two thinly sliced carrots to the skillet with the potatoes.
- Omit the ham and use 1 1/2 to 2 cups of leftover cubed roast pork or beef in the recipe. Add it to the skillet along with the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.