This elegant recipe demands the most special occasion. Serve it with roasted potatoes, grilled asparagus, and the most decadent pecan pie for dessert.
- 5 lb. rib roast, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Let the beef stand at room temperature for one hour before cooking.
- Place meat in a large roasting pan.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- If you like, cut small slits into the meat and push slivers of garlic into the slits.
- Cook the roast for 15 minutes at 450 degrees F.
- Turn the heat down to 350 degrees F and roast for 1 hour and 10 minutes, until a meat thermometer registers around 135 - 140 degrees F for medium rare.
- Remove the meat from the oven, cover, and let stand for 10-15 minutes before carving. Temperature should rise another 5-10 degrees F.
- While the meat is resting, pour off most of the fat from the roasting pan and place over medium high heat.
- Add the stock and cook and stir, scraping the pan to loosen the drippings.
- Cook the stock until it is thick and syrupy.
- Stir in butter and remove from heat.
- Carve the meat and serve with the sauce.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|