|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||6%|
|Total Carbohydrate 11g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|Total Sugars 0g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
When you carve your jack-o'-lantern or cut up your pumpkin to make purée for pumpkin pie, make sure you save the seeds! Pumpkin seeds can be toasted or roasted for tasty snacks. Just scrape the seeds out when you cut the pumpkin and clean them.
Use table salt, sea salt, or kosher salt, and add a dash of pepper if you like. There are all kinds of seasonings you might add—choose your favorite or see the variations below.
1 pumpkin, to yield approximately 2 cups raw pumpkin seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, or other neutral oil
Gather the ingredients.
Scoop out the seeds. Discard the big chunks of stringy pulp and put the seeds in a colander.
Rinse the pumpkin seeds under cold running water. Swish them around to remove any pieces of pulp clinging to the seeds. Drain.
Spread the seeds out onto a kitchen towel to dry. Don't use paper towels to dry the seeds; they will stick.
Preheat the oven to 300 F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
Spread the seeds out on the foil-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds with the salt and drizzle with vegetable oil. Toss to coat the seeds thoroughly. Bake the pumpkin seeds in the preheated oven for about 35 to 45 minutes, stirring and turning once or twice. They should be lightly browned and crisp.
Serve the pumpkin seeds in snack dishes and enjoy!
- Spicy Cajun Roasted Pumpkin Seeds: Spread the cleaned and dried pumpkin seeds on the prepared baking sheet. Toss the pumpkin seeds with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons of Cajun or Creole seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon of paprika, 1/4 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, and salt, as needed (depends on the saltiness of the Cajun seasoning). Add a dash of cayenne pepper for spicier seeds.
- Garlic and Parmesan Roasted Pumpkin Seeds: Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add 2 cloves of minced and mashed garlic and sauté until the garlic is tender and aromatic. Bake the pumpkin seeds following the recipe above; 10 minutes before they finish baking, toss them with the garlic and melted butter mixture. While they are still hot, toss the seeds with a few tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Pumpkin Spice Roasted Pumpkin Seeds: Toss the cleaned and dried pumpkin seeds with 2 tablespoons of butter or vegetable oil and 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice. Bake as directed; sprinkle with 1 or 2 tablespoons of sugar while they are hot.
- Curry Roasted Pumpkin Seeds: Toss the pumpkin seeds with the 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of curry powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of cumin. Bake as directed.
- Matcha Roasted Pumpkin Seeds: Toss the pumpkin seeds with 1 teaspoon of matcha or green tea powder along with the vegetable oil and salt. Bake as directed.