|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||7%|
|Total Carbohydrate 41g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||15%|
|Total Sugars 2g|
|Vitamin C 21mg||104%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The intense color of these purple potatoes turns what is normally a basic side dish into a unique and attractive accompaniment to almost any meal. But they're not just pretty to look at—purple potatoes have a nutty, earthy flavor, and the cilantro and garlic in this recipe add just the right amount of punch.
The purple potato originated in the mountains of Peru and Bolivia, and there are several varieties, including the Peruvian, Purple Fiesta, and Purple Majesty. They might have been rare in the past, but these days you can find them in most major supermarkets.
Serve these roasted purple potatoes as you would white roasted potatoes, alongside fried chicken, grilled steak, or a whole roasted turkey along with other roasted vegetables like Brussels sprouts or asparagus.
Click Play to See This Roasted Purple Potatoes With Garlic and Cilantro Recipe Come Together
2 1/2 pounds purple potatoes
3 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Heat the oven to 400 F. Brush a large rimmed baking pan or roasting pan with olive oil or spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Scrub the potatoes well and peel, if desired. Cut the potatoes into 1-inch pieces.
Toss them in a bowl with the minced garlic, fresh chopped cilantro or parsley, olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme.
Arrange the potatoes in a single layer in the prepared pan.
Roast the potatoes for 20 to 25 minutes, or until browned and tender, turning occasionally.
Serve alongside an entree and enjoy.
- Use the air fryer to roast the potatoes. Reduce the olive oil to 2 tablespoons and cook the potatoes at 360 F for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until they're tender. Stir the potatoes after about 10 minutes.
- Because purple potatoes are medium starch, they are versatile, drier in texture, and hold their shape quite well. They can be used in just about any recipe calling for potatoes. Scrub the potatoes but leave the skin on for extra flavor and texture.
- Roasted red, white, and purple potatoes: Combine equal amounts of red potatoes, white or gold potatoes, and purple potatoes to make about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds. Scrub the red potatoes but leave the skins on for color, if possible. Proceed with the recipe.
- Root vegetable roast with purple potatoes: Use 1 pound of purple potatoes, 1/2 pound of white or red-skinned potatoes, 2 small peeled and cut-up turnips, and 1/2 to 1 cup of baby carrots. Add 1 onion, cut into wedges, and use fresh chopped parsley instead of cilantro.
- Roasted purple potatoes with parsley and rosemary: Use 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley and replace the thyme with 2 teaspoons of fresh chopped rosemary or about 1/2 teaspoon of crumbled dried rosemary.
- Smokey purple potatoes: Add some cooked crumbled bacon to the roasted potatoes for a smoky flavor.
- Purple potatoes with peppers: Toss in a few tablespoons of fresh chopped mild or hot chili peppers or sweet bell pepper before the potatoes go into the oven.