In New Zealand, sweet potato is also known by its Maori name, "Kumara." In this recipe, sweet potatoes are roasted and served with crisp romaine lettuce, radishes, tomatoes, crumbled feta cheese and pine nuts.
You can use any kind of nuts in this salad. For instance, Macadamias, almonds, or pistachios all add some protein to the meal.
I usually top the salad with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and some balsamic vinegar, however, lemon juice also works well.
- 1 large kumara or sweet potato, peeled and diced into cubes
- Cooking olive oil for drizzling on kumara to roast
- Several leaves romaine lettuce, chopped
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 radishes, sliced
- Handful crumbled feta cheese
- Handful pine nuts
- dash Extra-virgin olive oil for salad
- dash Balsamic vinegar for salad
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Heat the oven to 350F.
Place the kumara in a baking dish and drizzle with nonpremium olive oil. Sprinkle on a pinch of salt. Roast for 25 minutes or until soft. Set aside to cool when done.
Arrange lettuce, tomato and radishes in a serving bowl. Add the kumara once cooled. Sprinkle on some feta cheese and pine nuts.
Finally, drizzle some extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. on top. Adjust seasonings.
Edited by Barbara Rolek