|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Serves 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 7g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 31g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Beets recipe comes from Tamar Ansh's wonderful Kosher for Passover cookbook, A Taste of Tradition: Pesach - Anything's Possible!. Of course, there's no reason to save this dish for Passover only. The gorgeous colors and a nice balance of sweet and savory flavors makes the easy-to-prepare vegetable side dish ideal for year-round weeknight, Shabbat, and holiday meals too. By the way, beets are a symbolic food for Rosh Hashana, so this dish is a shoe-in for Jewish New Year menus!
Recipe Testing Notes and Tips:
Whether you prefer large or small veggie pieces, it's important to keep the size of the vegetables fairly consistent so they'll cook evenly. We tested this recipe with the veggies cut into approximately 3/4-inch chunks, and ended up with tender, nicely caramelized pieces with the suggested cooking times.
Think beyond side-dish, and you'll find lots of uses for these delicious veggies. Try adding them to a wrap, or using them to top baby greens for an instant salad. Or, spread the veggies over a pizza crust or focaccia, sprinkle with crumbled goat cheese or Parmesan, and pop in the oven until the cheese melts.
Recipe reprinted with permission from A Taste of Tradition: Pesach - Anything's Possible! by Tamar Ansh. The book is available online at Amazon.com.
- 5 medium beets, trimmed, peeled, and cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 red potato, scrubbed and cut into chunks
- 1 large red or white onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- Gather the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C).
- In a bowl, toss the beets with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Spread the beets out on a baking sheet lined with parchment baking paper. Begin baking the beets for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the remaining 2 Tablespoons of olive oil with the garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place the sweet potatoes, potatoes, onions, and garlic in a large bowl. Pour this over them and mix well to incorporate.
- Take the pan out of the oven and add in this mix. Continue baking it all for another 45 minutes, stirring after 20 minutes, until all the vegetables are cooked through.
- Serve warm, although if there are any leftovers, they serve great cold, too.