- 4 ounces soda water (or sparkling mineral water)
- 4 ounces lemonade
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Angostura bitters (or to taste)
- 1 lemon slice
- Fill a large balloon glass or highball glass with ice.
- Pour the soda water and lemonade into the glass.
- Add the Angostura bitters and mix well. Garnish with a slice of fresh lemon.
- Serve ice cold.
All About Shandies
Centuries ago, a shandy was originally known as a shandygaff in England and was made with beer and unsweetened lemonade. The drink quickly spread to British colonies who developed their own versions with native ingredients like the ginger beer used in the Caribbean shandy.
The sweetness and powerful alcoholic punch are intentionally left out of a shandy creating more of a tangy beverage that is refreshing and meant to cool people down and not get them tipsy.