|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 32g||41%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||37%|
|Total Carbohydrate 27g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||13%|
|Total Sugars 3g|
|Vitamin C 58mg||290%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Baked tacos are great for dinner or a hearty snack, and they make excellent party food, too. You can use just one type of meat each time you make these or make some of both for variety.
Click Play to See This Taquitos Recipe Come Together
- 2 breast large chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium onion. diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chile powder
- 3 clove garlic, minced (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 2 cups prepared chile sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheese (queso fresco or mozzarella)
- 16 tortilla corn tortillas
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- (Optional) Serving suggestion: fresh salsa, sour cream, guacamole, and hot sauce
Gather the ingredients.
Start by preparing the filling. If using chicken, put the chicken breasts in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Boil the chicken, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes until it is cooked through.
Drain the liquid and use two forks to shred the chicken and add to a large bowl.
In a saute pan, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the chopped onions. Cook until the onions are slightly translucent.
Add 1/2 cup water, cumin, chile powder, and garlic to the chicken. Turn heat to low and simmer until all liquid is absorbed. Let mixture cool for 15 minutes.
Place mixture into a bowl and add the chile sauce and shredded cheese. Toss mixture in a bowl until all ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
Preheat oven to 450 F.
To roll the tacos, first brush each tortilla with a light coat of oil and warm it on a hot comal or griddle until the tortilla is quite pliable but not too hot to handle.
Place 3 to 4 tablespoons of filling lengthwise in the tortilla.
Roll the tortilla around it.
Place seam side down in a baking dish.
When all the tortillas have been rolled and placed in a single layer in the dish, put them in the oven and let them bake until they are crispy approximately 15 minutes.
Use tongs to place hot baked tacos briefly on paper towels to drain a little, if necessary.
Serve 4 per person for a main dish, or 2 each for an appetizer. Serve with fresh salsa, sour cream, guacamole, and/or your favorite Mexican table sauce or other condiments.
- Red chile sauce is recommended for beef, while green chile sauce is recommended for chicken.
- If using beef, brown 1 pound of ground beef in a medium-size pan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions when the meat is about half cooked; continue to cook until beef is no longer pink. Drain off any grease. Then continue with the instructions starting with adding water, cumin, chile powder, and garlic.