|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 12g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||39%|
|Total Carbohydrate 39g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|Total Sugars 35g|
|Vitamin C 1mg||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
When you're in the mood for a spiked root beer float, this is an excellent and easy recipe. You don't even need any ice cream (though it is a viable substitute) and it is utterly delicious.
This root beer float recipe begins with a combination of vanilla vodka and Galliano, a gold-colored herbal liqueur that is dominated by the flavors of vanilla and anise. Rather than vanilla ice cream, regular cream is used, then it's all topped with root beer, just like the kid-friendly float.
Everything that's great about the classic root beer float is here, so you're sure to enjoy it. And, if you want to go all out, be sure to add the whipped cream and cherry!
1 ounce vanilla vodka
1 ounce Galliano L'Autentico Liqueur
1 ounce cream
3 to 5 ounces root beer, to taste
Whipped cream, for garnish
Maraschino cherry, for garnish
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Fill a tall glass with ice and add the vodka, Galliano, and cream.
Top with root beer.
Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and a cherry. Serve and enjoy.
- Slowly pour the root beer and be ready to stop before the glass is completely full. Just like with ice cream, the cream will create a big foam head and can quickly overflow.
- Try different root beers as there are some fantastic options that are better for cocktails than those made by the big soda companies. Boylan, Bundaberg, Dang!, and Triple XXX are all excellent choices. You can also use a hard root beer!
- A common adaptation of this recipe uses vodka, Galliano, cream, and cola.
- RumChata is a cream liqueur that is excellent for a root beer float. Simply use it to replace the cream. It will, however, curdle when mixed with some root beers, though the brand has found that A&W and Dad's root beers do not produce this effect.
- If you don't have Galliano in stock, another vanilla liqueur or vanilla schnapps will do just fine. You could even simply pour a double shot of vanilla vodka instead.
- Give your float a real kick by using a vanilla-flavored whiskey or rum. Crown Royal, Jim Beam, Phillips Union, and a few other brands make vanilla whiskeys. Vanilla rum is even easier to find; look for Blue Chair, Brinley Gold, Cruzan, and Whalers (there are many more).
- If you want to use ice cream, skip the cream and ice. Pour the liquors, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream, then slowly fill the glass with root beer.
How Strong Is a Spiked Root Beer Float?
This root beer may be spiked, but it's not much stronger than drinking a normal beer. It averages out to just 9 percent ABV (18 proof) when made according to the recipe. There's plenty of room here for customizing it with any boozy additions you want to add without fear of it knocking you out!