|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 66g||85%|
|Saturated Fat 29g||143%|
|Total Carbohydrate 25g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This easy slow cooker dish of smothered chicken makes a tasty everyday meal with hot cooked rice, potatoes, or noodles. I used carrots and celery in the dish pictured, but other root vegetables can be used, or try it with bell peppers.
If you use frozen vegetables, add them near the end of the cooking time, about 15 minutes before the dish is finished.
Rose-Marie suggests serving the smothered chicken over cauliflower wedges. Or serve the dish with rice, noodles, potatoes, or cauliflower rice.
- 4 to 6 boneless chicken breast halves, without skin
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 12 ounces small portobello or crimini mushrooms, sliced vegetables, your choice, 2 cups sliced/diced*
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed French onion soup
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Gather the ingredients.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Cut chicken into bite size chunks and quickly brown in the hot fat.
- Remove the chicken from pan, set aside, and cook the onion until softened and lightly browned. Add mushrooms and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Layer the sliced or diced vegetables in the bottom of the crock pot. Top with about half of the mushroom and onion mixture. Top with the browned chicken, then the remaining mushroom and onion mixture.
- Empty all three cans of condensed soup into the pan. Cook, stirring, until hot, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Pour the hot soup mixture over the chicken mixture in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are tender. Or cook the dish for about 5 to 6 hours on LOW.
- Serve over cooked rice, noodles, biscuits, or vegetables.
- *I used a combination of sliced celery and carrots as the vegetables in the pictured meal. Alternatively, you can use frozen mixed vegetables. Just add them about 15 to 20 minutes before you plan to serve since they cook so quickly.
- Rose-Marie's Note: We steamed a head of cauliflower, cut it into wedges and topped it with the chicken mixture, which eliminated the extra starch calories. It was different and delicious.