You need a good strong rotisserie to prepare this turkey. Check in your instruction manual or with the manufacturer to make sure that your rotisserie set (especially the rotisserie motor) is rated for the weight of your turkey. Read more about rotisserie cooking to find additional information.
- 1 12-pound (5.4 kg) turkey
- For the Seasoning:
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) lemon pepper
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) celery salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) black pepper
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sage
- For the Turkey Stuffing:
- 1 medium onion cut into 8 equal parts
- 1 carrot cut into thin disks
- 1 apple cored and cut into 8 thick slices
1. Mix together seasonings and rub over the surface and inside of cleaned and dry turkey. This is best done the night before to let the seasoning permeate the meat. Stuff turkey and place securely on rotisserie skewer. Test it to make sure it's well balanced and tightly secured. Make sure that the wings and legs are firmly tied to the turkey and that the turkey is well balanced on the rotisserie skewer.
2. Prepare grill by removing grate and placing a drip pan in the center. Pan should be big enough to hold the turkey itself.
3. Light grill and let it heat up. If using a charcoal grill, make a medium fire around the drip pan. With gas, turn the burners to medium. But generally follow the manufacturer's instructions.
4. Half fill the drip pan with water and place the turkey on rotisserie. The cooking times should be similar to that of a 350 degree F/175 degrees C oven so use the time chart on the turkey packaging as a guide. You will need to use a meat thermometer to be sure of doneness.
5. Remove rotisserie turkey from grill when the internal temperature reaches 185 degrees F/85 degrees C. The water in the drip pan is there to keep the drippings from evaporating away. If the pan goes dry add more water. Try hickory, oak or alder wood chips if you wish to add an extra smoky flavor.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|