This round steak is browned then baked and served with homemade pan gravy. You can serve it with mashed potatoes and green beans or any of your family's favorite vegetables. This is a classic southern supper recipe!
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds beef round steak
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes, or 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme, crumbled
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet or Gravy Magic, optional
Cut round steak into serving-size pieces.
Put 2 tablespoons of flour in a bowl and dredge the steak portions to coat.
Season with salt and pepper; add beef broth, parsley, sugar, and thyme.
Cover and transfer to oven; bake at 350° for 1 1/2 hours, or until round steak is tender.
Remove round steak to a serving platter.
Measure pan juices into a large measuring cup; add enough water to make 1 1/2 cups. Return juices and water to pan and place over medium-low heat.
Combine the remaining 3 tablespoons of flour with 1/3 cup cold water; stir with a fork or whisk until smooth; stir into pan juices and add the Kitchen Bouquet or other browning sauce.
Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
Serve gravy over round steak.