Queen Elizabeth hosted the luncheon reception at Buckingham Palace for about 650 guests after the wedding of Britain's Prince William to Catherine Middleton. The royal wedding hosted 1,900 guests. The dinner reception was pared down to only 300 of their most trusted friends and family.
Instead of an elaborate multi-course dinner, the Queen opted for finger foods to be served. Prince William and Catherine gave their input, but most of the menu was chosen by the Queen.
Finger foods were most likely chosen because Buckingham Palace simply can't accommodate large groups of people for dining. The palace kitchens are designed to handle more formal dinners of about 150 people.
The reception also included the cutting of the eight-tier Fiona Cairns-designed wedding cake, made of 17 individual fruit cakes and decorated with cream and white icing. There was a separate groom cake for Prince Williams, a chocolate biscuit (cookie) cake made from an old family recipe.
Approximately 10,000 canapés were prepared by a team of 21 chefs, led by Royal Chef Mark Flanagan.
Guests were served a selection of canapés, including:
- Cornish Crab Salad on Lemon Blini
- Pressed Duck Terrine with Fruit Chutney
- Roulade of Goats Cheese with Caramelized Walnuts
- Assortment of Palmiers and Cheese Straws
- Scottish Smoked Salmon Rose on Beetroot Blini
- Miniature Watercress and Asparagus Tart
- Poached Asparagus spears with Hollandaise Sauce for Dipping
- Quails Eggs with Celery Salt
- Scottish Langoustines with Lemon Mayonnaise Pressed Confit of Pork Belly with Crayfish and Crackling
- Wild Mushroom and Celeriac Chausson
- Bubble and Squeak with Confit Shoulder of Lamb
- Grain Mustard and honey-glazed Chipolatas
- Smoked Haddock Fishcake with Pea Guacamole
- Miniature Yorkshire Pudding with Roast Fillet of Beef and Horseradish Mousse
- Gateau Opera Cake
- Blood Orange Pate de Fruit
- Raspberry Financier
- Rhubarb Crème Brulee Tartlet
- Passion Fruit Praline
- White Chocolate Ganache Truffle
- Milk Chocolate Praline with Nuts
- Dark Chocolate Ganache Truffle
Guests were served Pol Roger NV Brut Réserve Champagne with a selection of other soft and alcoholic drinks.
All the ingredients for the canapés have been carefully sourced from Royal Warrant holding companies using UK-based ingredients. These include:
- Gressingham Duck
- English Goats cheese from Paxton and Whitfield
- English Asparagus
- Welsh organic Celery Salt
- Langoustines from the North West Coast of Scotland
- Pork from the Cotswolds
- English Crayfish
- Windsor Estate Lamb
- Smoked Haddock from the East Coast of Scotland
- Beef from the Castle of Mey Selections in the North Highlands of Scotland
- English Rhubarb