|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 cocktail (1 serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 18g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||2%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
A switch to rum and grapefruit makes a fantastically tart upgrade to the tequila sunrise. In the ruby rum sunrise, you'll enjoy the experience of rising grenadine as you drink. The only differences here are that it's set against a lighter, ruby red grapefruit backdrop and prefers rum over tequila.
Though you could simply build the ingredients in the glass, it's actually better to shake them before straining over ice. It makes the entire drink lighter and ensures the sour mix is sufficiently blended into the drink.
- 2 ounces rum
- 1/2 ounce sour mix
- 1 1/2 ounces grapefruit juice (ruby red)
- 1/2 ounce grenadine
Gather the ingredients.
Pour grenadine on top until it covers the bottom of the glass.
Serve and enjoy!
- Add more grapefruit juice if you like. The drink can still have a good balance of sweet and tart with 2 or 3 ounces of juice. If it becomes too tart, you can always add another splash of grenadine.
- Light rum is a great choice for this mixed drink and it's also very interesting with aged rums.
- Sour mix is very easy to make at home because it's just a citrus flavored syrup. To make it, bring 1 cup of water to a boil, stir in 1 cup of sugar until it dissolves, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add 1 cup each of lemon and lime juices, let it cool and you're done!
- You can also make grenadine in a similar manner, using 2 cups each of pomegranate juice and sugar (no water required). When bottling, it's nice to add a couple of dashes of orange flower water.
- Fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice is worth your time in this cocktail, though bottled juice works just fine. A single grapefruit can yield up to 6 ounces of juice, so you'll have plenty for a few cocktails or enough to store in the refrigerator for later.
Have fun with flavored rum in this drink. Citrus rum would be an excellent choice and you can even ramp up the grapefruit with that flavor of rum. Other good options worth trying include tropical fruits like mango and pineapple. Vanilla rum will add a nice, rich flavor dimension, too.