|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 14g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|Total Sugars 12g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The nutty fix is more popularly known as a Russian qualude. It is a popular drink that can be made as a layered shot or a tasty highball. There are a few recipes for making it, with vodka as the common ingredient. However you take your nutty fix, it's a pretty good drink.
This recipe for a nutty fix creates a layered shooter with equal parts of hazelnut liqueur, Irish cream, and vodka. Frangelico is the most popular hazelnut liqueur and Baileys might be your top pick for Irish cream. There are other options for both liqueurs, so feel free to explore the liquor store shelves. However, different brands of the same liqueur may have different densities. While the layers should form fine, you may need to switch the order of the pour with some combinations.
When it comes to the vodka, the choice is yours. However, there really is no need to spend a lot of money on it because this is, after all, a shot and it will go down quickly. Look for a bargain vodka, there are some great ones out there that might surprise you.
1/2 ounce hazelnut liqueur
1/2 ounce Irish cream liqueur
1/2 ounce vodka
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Pour the hazelnut liqueur into a 1 1/2-ounce shot glass.
Float the Irish cream on top of the first layer.
Float the vodka on top of the second layer.
Serve and enjoy.
- Chill all of your liquors prior to pouring these shots so the layers are well-defined.
- Make this drink in any size of shot glass you like: Each layer should fill a third of the glass.
- This drink is commonly served on the rocks so it can be enjoyed slowly. These versions tend to be creamier and build on that hazelnut-vodka base with the addition of coffee liqueur and milk. To make it, pour 1 ounce each of vodka, coffee liqueur, Irish cream, and Frangelico over ice in a chilled highball glass. Top with milk or cream and stir well. Alternatively, shake the ingredients then strain over fresh ice.
- Some versions of the shot shake 1/3 ounce each of hazelnut and coffee liqueurs, Irish cream, and vodka, then strain the mix into a shot glass.
- Amaretto is a common substitute for the drink's hazelnut liqueur.
How Strong Are the Nutty Fix Drinks?
Layered shots are often very strong because there's no ice dilution. This makes the nutty fix shooters close to the combined bottling strength of the liqueurs used. Its alcohol content is around 23 percent ABV (46 proof). The highball version is lighter but still weighs in at 16 percent ABV (32 proof).