Salmon Meatballs are a fun recipe that's a little out of the ordinary. Canned salmon is the best version of this fish to use here. They're kind of like Salmon Patties, but more fun! No one will expect a meatball made of salmon.
These meatballs are better for you than meatballs made of ground beef or pork. They are substantial enough to fill you up, but are a bit lighter than beef meatballs. These meatballs are more delicate and tender than meatballs made with beef, pork, turkey, or chicken so handle them carefully.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white rice
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (14-ounce) can salmon, drained
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the rice and stir for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover pan, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the rice is just tender. Remove from the heat and cool for 15 minutes.
- Place the rice mixture in a large bowl. Add the egg, thyme, salt, pepper, and the lemon juice and mix well. Stir in the salmon until combined. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours so the mixture firms up.
- Form the mixture into 1-1/2" meatballs. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the meatballs and sauté them, turning carefully only once, until they are well browned, about 5 to 6 minutes. Serve immediately, or add a sweet and sour or an Alfredo sauce to the meatballs to serve over pasta or rice.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|