Spicy salt and pepper mix lends flavor to deep-fried spareribs. These salt and pepper spareribs are always a crowd please and a very popular dish in in Chinese cuisine.
If it’s available, feel free to substitute Sichuan peppercorns for the black pepper.
There are many different ways to make “Chinese pepper salt” (椒鹽 or 花椒鹽). Below is one of my favourite ways to prepare this “Chinese pepper salt”:
Chinese Pepper Salt:
1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorn
2 tablespoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Put Sichuan peppercorns and salt into a small and dry saucepan and keep stirring while cooking. This procedure is to toast the Sichuan peppercorn together with the salt and the salt will absorb the aroma and flavour of the Sichuan peppercorns. Cook for 2-3 minutes and remember to use medium to low heat.
- Use a sieve to pass the salt and Sichuan peppercorn oil. Keep the Sichuan peppercorn and salt separate. You can use the Sichuan peppercorn make Sichuan peppercorn oil.
- Mix the salt with ground black pepper. This is how I like to make this “Chinese pepper salt” for my “salt and pepper spareribs” and “salt and pepper spareribs”.
I’m going to introduce you two different recipes to prepare this salt and pepper spareribs.
Edited by Liv Wan.
- Recipe 1:
- This recipe is from our former Chinese food expert.
- Recipe 1 Ingredients:
- 2 ½ pounds boneless meaty spareribs or pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon five-spice powder
- 3 to 4 cups oil for deep-frying, or as needed
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, or as needed
- Recipe 2:
- I learnt this delicious salt and pepper spareribs recipe from a Taiwanese chef but I have adjusted the recipe for easier to get hold of all the ingredients.
- Recipe 2 Ingredients:
- 280g (10 ounces) spareribs or pork shoulder
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 chili, removed seed and finely chopped
- Some “Chinese pepper salt” to taste
- 3-4 cups of oil or as need to deep-fry the spare-ribs
- Recipe 2 Marinade for spareribs:
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or Shaoxing rice wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon black vinegar
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- ½ egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons sweet potato starch or corn flour
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
Recipe 1 Procedures:
Stir-fry the salt and black pepper in a heavy frying pan over medium-low heat, shaking the pan, until the salt darkens. Remove from the heat and stir-in the five-spice powder. Cool
Cut the spareribs along the individual bones. Rub lightly with salt and pepper mixture. Cover and marinade in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
Preheat the oil for deep-frying to between 360 and 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Dust the spareribs with the cornstarch.
Use a deep-fryer basket to carefully add the ribs into the oil. Deep-fry the submerged spareribs for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and drain.
Deep-fry the spareribs a second time. Until they are crispy and cooked (about 1 minute). Drain. Serve with any remaining salt and pepper mix for dipping.
Recipe 2 Procedures:
Cut the spareribs into one-bite size and marinade with all the ingredients for at least 30 minutes. I would personally recommend you to marinade the spareribs overnight. You must mix all the marinade very well and stir it at least couple times during the marinade to help the spareribs to absorb all the flavour. *Cooking tip: bicarbonate soda and black vinegar can help to soften the meat on the spareribs.
Heat the oil in a wok. The oil temperature needs to be 180 degree Celsius (356 degree Fahrenheit). Deep fry the spareribs for a minute and turn off the fire and leave it in the oil to cook for 5 minutes. Drain and leave the ribs aside.
Put spring onion, garlic and chili in a big, heat proof mixing bowl.
Heat up the oil again to 180 degree Celsuis (356 degree Fahrenheit) and deep-fry the spareribs for another 2-3 minutes or until they are crispy. Drain and put the ribs in the step 3 mixing bowl immediately.
Add some “Chinese pepper salt” into step 4 and quickly toss everything a few times and it’s ready to serve!