This salt and pepper squid is one of my favourite Chinese Taiwanese snacks and appetizers. On a hot summer’s day I especially enjoy paring this with a nice iced cold beer.
Preparing this dish is very simple. You only need a few ingredients then you can make this dish but please be very careful when you fry the squid as the oil can explode (water on oil effect) and potentially burn you. I personally pad the squid dry after cleaning and washing it because I coat it with corn flour and normal flour.
I personally like to cross-cut the squid because it makes the squid look prettier but if you think cross-cutting is too much hassle then you can either cut it into rings or pieces. Either method is fine.
How to clean and prepare squid video
How to cross-cut squid:
- Place the squid tube flat on a cutting board, with the inside facing up.
- Score the squid tube with a criss-cross pattern. Cut into rectangular pieces.
Squid health benefits:
- Squid contains high levels of copper that can fulfill 90% of the body’s requirements.
- Eating squid can relieve the symptoms of arthritis.
- Squid is high in proteins
- Squid is high in Vitamin B2, which also can prevent migraines.
- Eating squid can help to stabilize sugar levels in your blood because it contains high levels of vitamin B3.
- Squid is a good source of Zinc which can help strengthen the immune system.
- Squid is a very good source of vitamin B12, which can lower the risk of strokes and heart attacks.
Even though squid has many health benefits please remember to eat a healthy and balanced diet. If you have any medical issues please consult a medical professional.
- For the Ingredients:
- 370g (13 1/8 ounces) squid tubes, It’s easier to cross-cut medium to large sized squid tubes than smaller ones. I only use squid tubes in this recipe but you can also use a whole squid in this recipe.
- 85g (3 ounces) corn flour
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 750ml (1 1/5 pints) oil for fry the squid
- 1 spring onion, slice
- 1 chili slice
- Some basil for garnish
- For the Ingredients for squid marinade:
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon rice wine
- For the Seasonings:
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- For the Simple Wasabi Mayo Dipping Sauce:
- ½ teaspoon wasabi
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
Procedures for Salt and Pepper Squid:
Clean and wash the squid under running cold water. Pad dry with a kitchen towel.
Cross-cut the squid and cut into 3-4 cm (on each side) squares
Marinade the squid with all the ingredient for marinade for 30 minutes.
Mix corn flour, plain flour and all the seasonings.
Heat up oil in a wok or a deep saucepan to around 180C.
Coat the squid with step 4 corn flour mixture.
Gently slide the squid into the hot oil. Please keep your distance and be very careful just incase the hot oil splashes or spits on you.
Deep fry the squid for 30 seconds. You will see the squid curl up and turn a beautiful golden colour.
Put a couple sheets of kitchen towel on a plate and take the squid out of the hot oil and place onto the kitchen towel to get rid of the oil.
Mix the squid with spring onions and chilli. Place on a serving plate and garnish with some basil leaves. Ready to serve.
Procedures for Wasabi Mayo:
Mix wasabi with lemon juice first until there are no lumps of wasabi left.
Mix step 1 with mayonnaise until it’s perfectly combined together.