This easy Saltine Toffee recipe requires just five ingredients to make an incredibly delicious candy. You have to taste it to believe it! Who would have thought that saltine crackers would work so well as the base of this crispy, crunchy toffee that's packed with brown sugar and chocolate flavor? You can also make it your own by adding other nuts or dried fruit to the top, or swirls of white or milk chocolate.
- 50 saltine crackers (from about 1.5 sleeves crackers)
- 4 ounces (1 stick) butter
- 7.5 ounces (1 cup) packed brown sugar
- 12 ounces (2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prepare a 11x17-inch baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- Arrange the crackers in a single layer on the baking sheet so that there are no empty spaces in between them. Break them into pieces if necessary to fill all the gaps.
- Place the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir while the butter melts, and bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Once boiling, carefully pour the sugar-butter mixture over the crackers on the baking sheet in an even layer, trying to cover most of the crackers. If you miss some spots, don’t worry as the toffee will spread in the oven.
- Bake the toffee crackers at 350 F for 5 minutes, until the toffee is bubbling all over. Carefully remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for one minute.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the hot toffee, and allow them to sit for one minute to soften and melt. Once softened, use an offset spatula or knife to spread the melted chocolate over the entire surface of the toffee in an even layer. While the chocolate is still wet, sprinkle the top with the chopped peanuts.
- Refrigerate the pan to set the toffee and chocolate for about 30 minutes. Once set, cut into small pieces and enjoy! Store saltine toffee in an airtight container for up to a week.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|