This recipe for salty (savory) Serbian gibanica is a blend of cottage cheese and sour cream between layers of filo dough that is baked until golden brown and crispy. Read this Gibanica Tell-All.
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 pounds large-curd creamed cottage cheese
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) melted butter
- 1 pound thawed filo dough
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and fluffy. Add flour and salt and mix thoroughly. Add sour cream and cheese and combine.
- Lightly brush a 13x9-inch pan with melted butter. Place 2 sheets filo dough in a pan and lightly brush with melted butter. Spread about 6 spoons of cheese filling on top. Repeat with 2 sheets filo and 6 spoons cheese mixture, ending with 2 sheets filo. Tuck in ends, if necessary. Brush with remaining butter. Bake 1 hour. Let stand 20 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||41 g|
|Saturated Fat||21 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|