Sand tarts cookies with cinnamon, almonds, vanilla, eggs, butter, sugar, and other ingredients. I used pecans to decorate the sand tarts pictured.
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (separated)
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (6 3/4 ounces)
- 15 unblanched almonds (split, or 30 pecan halves)
- For the Cinnamon Sugar:
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, milk, and flavoring and beat until well blended.
- In another bowl, combine the salt, baking powder, and flour; stir to blend. Add the dry ingredients to the first mixture and blend well.
- Chill the dough for at least 3 hours.
- Heat the oven to 375 F (190 C/Gas 5).
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with baking spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to between 1/8 to 1/4-inch in thickness.
- Cut with cookie cutters.
- Carefully transfer the cut-outs to the prepared baking sheets; put a split almond or pecan half on each cookie.
- In a small bowl, combine the 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar with the cinnamon.
- Brush the nut-topped cookies with the unbeaten egg whites, and then sprinkle lightly with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Bake the cookies for about 8 minutes. Makes about 30 cookies.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||44 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||24 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|