This crawfish pie is a classic combination of crawfish tails, seasonings, and a thick filling mixture. Garlic, onions, and celery go into the pie filling along with the crawfish tails.
- 1 med. to large onion, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 6 to 8 cloves of garlic, mince
- 2 tablespoons butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can (12 ounces) light or regular evaporated milk
- 1 pound of crawfish tails
- 5 tablespoons of cornstarch, dissolved in 3 tablespoons cold water
- Pie crust for 2-crust pies
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Sauté onions, celery, and garlic in butter or olive oil.
Add milk and soup; bring to a medium boil.
Add crawfish, bring to a medium boil again then add cornstarch. Lower heat and cook for another 10 minutes or until thick.
Roll out one portion of the pie pastry to fit the pie pan.
Grease pie plate with butter and place the pie pastry in the bottom of the pan. Add thickened crawfish filling mixture.
Roll out the second portion of pastry to fit over the top of the pie.
Place the top pastry over the filling, crimp edges, and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until crust is browned.