This recipe for Santa Fe Chicken is a combination of several in some of my cookbooks. It is one of the easiest in my collection, and so delicious.The combination of chicken, black beans, and salsa layered with corn tortillas, sour cream, and cheese is comforting and just wonderful.
All you need to serve with this one dish meal is a green salad or a fruit salad, and some cold beer or a glass of white wine.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen fully cooked diced chicken
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (24 ounce) jar thick and chunky salsa
- 1 cup taco sauce
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Cojack cheese
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, cook the onion and garlic in olive oil on high for 2 to 3 minutes until tender. Stir in the frozen chicken, black beans and salsa. (If you are freezing this recipe, cool onion and garlic mixture before adding frozen chicken.)
- In a 2 quart glass baking dish, pour the taco sauce. Lay four corn tortillas over the sauce. Top with half of the chicken mixture.
- Spoon on half of the sour cream in small dollops. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Top with the remaining tortillas, chicken mixture, sour cream and cheese. Cover with foil. At this point, you can wrap the casserole well and freeze up to 3 months.
- Bake at 350 F for 25 to 35 minutes until the casserole is steaming hot and bubbly. Uncover and bake 5 to 10 minutes longer until the cheese is melted.
- If frozen, thaw the casserole overnight in the refrigerator, then bake covered at 350 F for 35 to 45 minutes until bubbly; uncover and bake 5 to 10 minutes longer until cheese melts.