This is a great way to take a not so tender steak and turn it into something fantastic. This round steak is marinated in a flavorful spice mixture, grilled hot and fast, and carved into thin strips.
- 1 1/2 pounds (700 g) top round steak, 1-inch thick
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) frozen margarita drink mix, thawed (or use 1/4 cup (60 mL) lime juice)
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5 mL) coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) black pepper
- Combine margarita mix, cilantro, vegetable oil, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of mixture and pour remaining into a resealable plastic bag.
- Add steaks to the mixture, turning to coat. Seal bag and refrigerate for 2-8 hours.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- Remove steaks from the bag and discard the marinade.
- Place steaks on grill and cook until done, about 6 to 8 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, combine 2 tablespoons of the marinade with avocado and onion.
- Toss until evenly mixed.
- Remove steaks from grill, let meat rest for 5 minutes and carve into thin slices. Serve with avocado salsa.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||153 g|
|Saturated Fat||52 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||75 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|