This easy crockpot beef recipe is made with stewing beef and chopped vegetables. Condensed golden mushroom soup with red wine makes up the delicious sauce, and extra flavor comes from a quick sear of the meat before adding it to the slow cooker. Serve the saucy beef over noodles or rice and add some steamed broccoli, green beans, or English peas for a satisfying and flavorful family meal.
It is such an easy recipe to prepare, and it's made with ingredients you probably have on hand. The beef is delicious with the noodles, but could also be served with mashed potatoes or hot cooked rice. Add a salad and crusty bread for a fabulous meal.
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds top round, lean stewing beef, or other lean pot roast cut
- 2 medium onions (coarsely sliced or chopped)
- 3 to 4 ribs celery (sliced 1/2-inch)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine, such as Cabernet or Burgundy
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed golden mushroom soup (not cream of mushroom soup)
- 8 ounces (1/2 pound) hot cooked noodles
- Optional: 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Cut the beef into bite-sized 1- to 1 1/2-inch cubes.
- Place the onion and celery in the bottom of the slow cooker or crockpot.
- Combine the flour, paprika, salt, pepper, and celery seed in a paper bag or plastic food storage bag. Add the beef cubes and shake until thoroughly coated with the flour mixture.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Brown the beef cubes on all sides. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Transfer the browned beef to the slow cooker.
- Add red wine to the hot skillet and stir to dislodge any browned bits. Pour over the beef along with the vinegar, then add the mushroom soup. Stir gently to combine ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Serve with hot cooked noodles. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
Variations and Additional Recipes
If you don't have a slow cooker or don't have the time to use one, you can follow these steps to cook this recipe on the stovetop. Sear the beef in oil in a stockpot or Dutch oven; add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute. Add the onions and celery and continue cooking, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes. Add red wine, vinegar, and mushroom soup and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover the pan, and simmer over low heat for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the beef is tender. Serve with hot cooked noodles and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||26 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|