This sauerkraut and apple recipe makes a tasty side dish for pork, sausage or any other meat or poultry.
It can be cooked on the stovetop, in a slow cooker or baked in the oven, and used as a base to roast meats on.
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or butter
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 red apples, cored but unpeeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 pound sauerkraut, drained and rinsed or unrinsed as you prefer, but not squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon or regular mustard
- 1 or more teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place bacon drippings or butter in Dutch oven or other lidded casserole dishes. Add onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add chopped apples and continue to sauté until they caramelize slightly. Add sauerkraut, water, brown sugar, mustard, and caraway seeds, and mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat.
- If cooking on the stovetop, cover, and simmer for 50 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding water if necessary.
- If baking, heat oven to 325 F. Cover and bake for 50 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding water if necessary.
- Whether cooking on the stovetop or in the oven, now is the time to add the applesauce, mixing well.
- Cover and continue to cook for another 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- If using a slow cooker, combine the sautéed onions and apples, sauerkraut, water, brown sugar, mustard, caraway seeds, and applesauce in the crock and cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4 hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot as a side dish with pork, sausage, beef or poultry.
Pork Dishes That Would Be Perfect with This Side Dish
- Roasted Pork Steaks Recipe: This often overlooked cut of meat is perfect roasted and served with sauerkraut and apples. It's a pairing made in heaven.
- Smoked Pork Butt Recipe: Here's another flavorful cut of pork that tastes similar to ham because the pork shoulder is smoked. It's a great match for sauerkraut and apples.
- Quick and Easy Smoked Pork Chops Recipe: This recipe comes together in 10 minutes and is a good candidate for a busy school night. Accompany this with a green vegetable and the sauerkraut and apples side dish for a great meal.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|